RescueTime Productivity App



Have you ever wondered if you are managing your time well? There is an awesome new app and website that helps you find inefficiencies in your day, get better at self managing, and make measurable changes that impact your productivity level.

So what got me interested in managing my time better? For one, successful people are masters at time management. They dont sit on Facebook all day, they dont browse the Home Shopping Network or download videos all day long. Their days are filled with productive efforts. We all have the same amount of time in a day. We can choose to waste time, spend time or invest time. How valuable is YOUR time?

I began my quest by searching for an Ubuntu app that could handle time management. There really is not much out there besides basic task and to-do list apps like Nitro, Wunderlist, Tasque and so on. I came across a similar question over on Ask Ubuntu...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/202841/slap-me-when-i-stop-working/

Digging around more I came across Rescue Time. An app that monitors your internet usage. Its a free app that has an installable DEB file for Ubuntu users and RPM file for Fedora users. It works in conjunction with a Firefox add-on and/or a Chrome app. The basic Rescue Time app is free and powerful enough to monitor yourself pretty well. It can track my Thunderbird email usage, whether or not im playing a game (not productive), using Skype for a business call (productive) and more. There is even an Android / iPhone app available! Texting too much? You'll find out soon enough.

There is a paid version of the app which allows for more tracking capabilities. For $6 a month you'll have a lot more power such as the ability to BLOCK distracting websites (like Facebook, Google+, Youtube, etc), get alert messages if you've been doing distracting things, see how much time you spend on editing particular documents, and even track offline data such as meetings and phone calls.

For the next week Im sticking with the free version, but I do see how powerful it is to pay for the upgrade. I sometimes need help keeping myself away from social media and for the price its worth getting alerts or even blocking the sites.

Click the image at the top of my article to see how detailed this really is. Around 3pm I was on a shopping site looking for a gift for my wife. I think I spent a good 30 minutes buying her something. Fun? Yes! Productive? Not at all.

If you are at all serious about the time you waste and will never regain, consider Rescue Time as a way to track your productivity levels. We all need some help once in a while!

rescuetime.com

For some interesting side reading, this is where I first read about Rescue Time...

Why I Hired A Girl On Craigslist to Slap Me In The Face — And How It Quadrupled My Productivity
http://hackthesystem.com/blog/why-i-hired-a-girl-on-craigslist-to-slap-me-in-the-face-and-why-it-quadrupled-my-productivity/
SHARE

About Happy Goodwill

    Disqus Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment